2014 Summer Camp Dates
Mountain Trekkers (ages 14+): Sun June 29 - Fri July 11 [2 weeks] ($750 per camper)
Austine Explorers (ages 10-13): Sun July 13 - Sat July 19 [1 week] ($395 per camper)
Vermont Saplings (ages 6-9): Sun July 20 - Sat July 26 [1 week] ($395 per camper)
PRE-REGISTER ONLINE (once your child is pre-registered you will receive paperwork in the mail)
Summer Camp Program
- The collaboration between the Vermont Lions and Austine School for the Deaf provides a wonderful summer camp opportunity for Deaf and Hard of Hearing children, hearing siblings, and children with deaf parents (CODA/KODAs)
- American Sign Language (ASL) is utilized by all and taught as our primary mode of communication, although communication access for all is an essential cornerstone of our program.
Our days are filled with swimming, hiking, arts and crafts, games, scavenger hunts, and fireside chats.
- Austine collaborates with High 5 Adventure Learning to foster leadership development through team buiding activities and participation on a low/high ropes course.
Highlights of our program include (but are not limited to) a fishing derby, fireworks on the 4th of July, trip to the beach, wilderness skills training, and river excursions, depending on the session you attend.
- Clint Woosley will be back as a Co-Director for our Mountain Trekkers High School group. Clint is a native of Maryland, but comes our way from a long stint in the wilderness of the west. His lifelong passion of working with deaf and hard of hearing children is a perfect complement to his experience with directing summer camps in Colorado. He enjoys rock climbing, ropes courses, backpacking and reading. Clint is very excited about bringing his outdoor experience to our program this summer and looks forward to introducing our campers to the wide range of outdoor recreation activities in our great state of Vermont. Though he'll only be with us for one session, we're super excited to have Clint with us for another year!
- Patrice Bartges will be joining us as our other Co-Director this summer! She'soriginally from Minneapolis, MN but grew up in Knoxville, TN. She's finishing up her Master's Degree in Interpreting at Gallaudet University and has lots of camp experience to share with us. Patrice loves to meet new people (a great quality for our camp) as well as capture her favorite moments in life on flim. She also loves to travel and explore and take on challenges, trying to solve them the best she can! Please join us in welcoming Patrice to our team!
- Kris Lemire continues to be a part of camp this year- this will be her 15th season involved as camp staff and, as some of you know, she was a camper herself back in the 1990s. Kris grew up in Brattleboro and after graduating from Gallaudet University, returned to the area and has been working at VCDHH/Austine School ever since. She has a passion for working with deaf youth and giving them positive experience and leadership opportunities. Kris is eager to help Clint and Patrice make this our best camp yet!
Please note that we do not have a camp nurse this summer. All of our staff are trained and certified in basic 1st Aid/CPR/AED. We also have staff that are certified to dispense medications and only these staff members will do so. It is extremely important that any and all medical and behavioral issues for each camper are disclosed prior to the start of their session. For the safety of your child, there may be medical and/or behavioral histories that our camp staff are not equiped to handle without a nurse and behavioral staff present. Please contact us to discuss any concerns you may have.
WCAX Channel 3 Burlington, VT visits Camp - Summer 2011
Click the photo below to see the full experience.